Thursday, April 9, 2009

Kite Runner

I've been searching for a great book that I wouldn't be able to put down for awhile now. I'm done with the mindless zombie books (no pun). I'm glad that I finally found the Kite Runner. It was actually sitting on my shelf for more than a year. The story takes you on a young boy's journey into adulthood, from growing up in a privileged home in Afghanistan, to its political downfall, and then into his adulthood in America. It explores his strained relationship with his father, with most of the focus on his haunting friendship with his servant "best friend" Hassan.  

The book is very well paced, and the writing flowed easily throughout the ups and downs of Amir's life. What I particularly enjoyed about the book, was how I ended up really disliking the main character, which I find rare in books. At first you are somewhat understanding and sympathetic to his ways, then something occurs that turns you right off. It added a surprising and original twist to the story. His jealousy and cowardly nature is often overshadowed by his intensely loyal friend Hassan, and leads to much emotional turmoil and deception. Thank goodness the main character redeems himself at the end! I won't say more. Just read it!

It's also a movie!


No comments:

Post a Comment