Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Health Update


Well most of you are pretty up to date but here's some info on my growing belly. 

I must say that so far, I've had a very good pregnancy. My first trimester was tough only because I was exhausted all the time. I would make breakfast and have to take a nap afterward. I was told that after the first trimester was over, it would be smooth sailing. So far that has been the hardest part of all. I've been lucky enough that there has been no vomiting and barely any nausea.

I've been gaining weight at a steady rate. I am 179lbs. Yes. You read that right. I'm one point smaller than I should be. 
After my first slew of blood tests, I found out that all was normal except that my iron levels were a little below normal. This was no surprise to me, I expected her to say that, since I've been anemic in the past. So aside from my prenatal vitamin, I'm also taking an iron pill every day. No biggie :) If my iron levels do not increase by the next blood test, then she'll have to increase my dose.

Now that I'm approaching my third trimester, I'm feeling a lot bigger and a little helpless when I try to get up after lying on the couch. It's a little like being a turtle on its back. :)

I have to keep in mind that I can't run around and push myself like usual, or my back and stomach starts to hurt. I'm finally able to accept my limits, and let people do things for me. It's nice!

Yesterday, I had my Gestational Diabetes Mellitus test. I think that's what it's called in English. Everything has been in french so I've been getting used to that terminology.

I got to the clinic at 6:55 am with my lovely urine sample in hand, only to find out it was useless because I had peed at 5:30 am and it wasn't "fresh" enough. So I had to wait to pee again.
Meanwhile, I had to drink an orange glucose tolerance drink, called Trutol 50, which tasted exactly like Orange Crush. I had to down 50g of the bubbly dextrose drink in less than five minutes. Piece of cake. Then I had to wait one hour before my blood test. 

55 minutes later...
Everyone in the waiting room stinks, and I feel like throwing up. :-( 
Since I've been preggers, I've had the nose of a bloodhound. So I could smell the lingering aroma of stale cigarettes, perfume, and powdered makeup. The Orange Crush was so heavy in my empty stomach. I needed fresh air in a big way! Thank goodness that I was up next. The nurse only took one vile of blood this time around (instead of the seven like last time). I was disappointed to find out that I could've had water while I waited! That would've really helped!!! 
Once I got outside, I felt great again! 

I find out if I'm diabetic next time I visit. I'll keep you all posted!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie,

    I just got all caught up on your blog! I'm glad to hear the pregnancy is going so well. I still want to see a photo of you with a belly though!:) Thanks for the adorable little sewing machine! I just loved it and it is now living in my sewing room:) Did you receive a little parcel in the mail from me yet?
    Things here have been pretty crazy, but I'm starting to see a light at the end of the very long tunnel! I'll email you soon with our plans. Miss you!
    Cari
    PS. You inspired me to post on my blog again!
    PPS. I did feel guilty for not asking about the name of your blog! But, I did wonder for real!:)

    ReplyDelete